Last year for my 22nd birthday I did a blog post about the 22 things I had learned by the time I turned 22. I considered doing the same thing again this year but thought it might be more fun to flip it. So instead this post is going to be the 23 things I still haven’t learned now that I’m 23.
Also hi yes today is my 23rd birthday! When you’re reading this I’ll most likely be at work. After work my lovely partner is driving into the city to come hang out with me and my good friends for an evening of food, drinks and trivia. All of my favourite things. So it will probably be wonderful.
I’ve done lots of birthday things in the past week and have been doing my best to photograph them so that you can have a little view of everything I did. But don’t hold me to it – I’m doing my best to get that up as quickly as I can.
So on with all of the things I still haven’t figured out:
- How to get keys to work properly? Chalk this up to things your parents would never have thought to teach you but I really am terrible with keys, they always get stuck in the lock.
- How to drink enough that I have a nice light buzz without then accidentally overdoing it?
- Where to find the perfect fitting pair of jeans?
- How to make friends as an adult?
- How to have enough time to call all of my long distance friends?
- How to be in a long distance relationship (we’ve been at it for almost eight months and every day is a bit of an adjustment)?
- How to be okay that I can’t make everyone happy (even though I really want to)?
- Why I don’t have a dog. Particularly a King Charles Spaniel. Seriously, I’m an adult with a job, why don’t I have a dog?
- How to have enough time to read lots and feel relaxed while also getting everything done.
- How to do my own taxes (I use a free online program).
- French. I mean I know French fairly well, but I’m not bilingual and I’d love to be, at what point is it too late?
- Should I do a Masters or not?
- Why are some people mean for no reason?
- What did I ever do to you?
- What should I eat for dinner tonight? (Seriously this is a constant stress on my life)
- How to iron my clothes?
- How to not care what people think about you?
- Why I don’t have a puppy?
- How people who have kids have time to do anything?
- How people aren’t starving when they get home from work, like I always am?
- Do you ever feel ready for any kind of change? As I get older I just feel less ready for things.
- Why are women cruel to other women? Build each other up where you can.
- The biggest thing I don’t know: all of the things I don’t know.
There are of course other things, but I don’t know that I don’t know them yet. So cheers to being 23, to being happy and healthy. To having a great relationship, amazing friends, a wonderful family, a job I really enjoy and hobbies that are fun to fill my time with. I can’t really complain.